Monday night was a life changing moment for so many people in our community. The stories that I have personally heard have been heart wrenching for me. One of the families in our church has three little kids and had only three minutes to evacuate. They left with nothing more than their lives and the clothes on their back. As a pastor the weight of how we can help our community became a little overwhelming. I stood in my closet whispering the prayer, “Lord, now is the time for the church to be your hands and feet. Give us wisdom in all that you have called us to do.” I know many of you feel the same way. You want to do all you can to make a difference.
Here are some practical things we can all do:
Pray: Prayer is the best thing we can do. Pray specifically for the following:
- 100 % containment of all the fires
- Wind will cease
- Every need of those displaced will be met
- Salvation for those who need Christ, that He would be their comforter
- Wisdom for the church in all that we can do
- Join our Thursday night prayer meeting tonight, December 7th from 6-7pm at both our Ventura and Agoura campuses.
- Give tax deductable donation by texting ‘thecity’ to 77977 or visit our website
- Give to the giving tree this Sunday, we are collecting gift cards to either purchase gifts for displaced kids and single parent homes. Suggested places to buy gift cards to are Target, Walmart, Visa Gift cards, etc
- Funds for individual families you may know have been set up online. You can access these via social media
- Volunteer to distribute necessities through the church. Join the team by helping at shelters with the Red Cross here or helping receive and distribute supplies with the City Church here.
- Be available to open up your home for those in mandatory evacuation.
- Reach out to neighbors and people at church who are affected by the fires.
- Invite people to church so that they can come in contact with the presence of God and we can surround them in love and provide any supplies they may need.
I believe God calls the church to be an unstoppable force for help and good in times of tragedy. Let’s come together to be the fragrance of God to our community!
2 Corinthians 2:14 “God makes his grace visible in Christ who includes us as partners of his endless triumph. Through our yielded lives he spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of God everywhere we go”
Thank you for loving our City!